Saturday, May 25, 2013

RIP Linden Chiles


Linden Chiles was born Truman Linden Chiles on March 22, 1933. This rugged actor got his first career break when Ted Post spotted him in a UCLA directing class and gave him a small role in the TV show "Rawhide". Linden's most memorable career event was working with Elvis in "Wild In The Country". His favorite flick is ";Thelma and Louise" and George C. Scott and Katharine Hepburn are his choices for great actors. He enjoys watching the TV show "Eastside/Westside" and "Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye is his favorite tune. His off screen activities include walking, reading, partying and building his house, not necessarily in that order. Thomas Jefferson gets his vote for most respected historical figure. Linden's quote is: "TV consumes us much more than we consume it".
 
Mary Margaret commented Linden died at a high point in his life. He found true love late in life (Yes, I am inserting myself here, he and I started dating when he was 76, I moved in with him when he was 78 and we acted like newlyweds) His career had taken off after meeting Ansel Faraj, and he had successfully beaten prostate cancer. He had regained his physical strength after becoming weak while being treated for cancer two years ago. He and I celebrated his 80th Birthday in Big Sur in a grand hotel. He loved the trip. He and his son had a fabulous time camping in Joshua Tree Park May 1 - 5. He was on top of the world the day he died. Unfortunately, he was also working on the roof of his house. He was overconfident because he had been feeling so good. So he took a risk he should not have taken.
 
CHILES, Linden (Truman Linden Chiles)
Born: 3/22/1933, U.S.A.
Died: 5/15/2013, Topanga, California, U.S.A.
 
Linden Chiles westerns – actor:
Rawhide (TV) – 1960 (Jenkins)
Gunsmoke (TV) – 1963 (Pat)
Incident at Phantom Hill – 1966 (Dr. Hanneford)
Texas Across the River – 1966 (Yellow Knife)
The Virginian (TV) – 1964, 1966, 1967 (Paul Leland, Ira Lom, Ben Fancher, Sheriff Chris Willliams)
Lancer (TV) – 1969 (Kirby)

6 comments:

  1. Linden had a wonderful memorial with many family and friends. A time of sharing and celebration in the home he quite literaly made from the ground up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom B. will you contact me regarding your kind obituary? morgan at thetechsource dot net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.Tom B. somethings in your blog are not true. Linden was not married to Mary Margaret. He was not born in St. Louis. He had 2 wives. Mona Lee and Cynthia Coles Chiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cynthia. I deleted St. Louis and that Mary Margaret was his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really liked this guy - was an excellent actor who I will miss! May you rest in peace, Linden Chiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linden and I met in 1981 when his son Greg and I became friends while studying in Berkeley. I was a little "star struck" initially because I had been a huge fan of the short-lived "James at 15/16" where Linden played the father of the title character. But Linden's warm, down-to-earth, and deeply spiritual personality got me past all that and we became good friends in our own right. We kept in touch over the years, mostly by letter, until he finally got "online" near the end of 2009. He may well have been my closest friend so far in this life--he was certainly the most intimate in terms of how open we could be with each other. I feel a bit terrible about him falling off the roof, because I specifically chided him for taking that on. But I'm happy he went out on a "high" note, and am grateful to count myself among the many people whose lives he directly blessed with his fiery, cheerful, ever-loving personality. I'm sorry I never made it down to Topanga in recent years to meet the friends who are missing him as much or more than I am right now. Perhaps we will meet someday, and raise a glass to the memory of our beautiful brother, with glad hearts, that he called us "friend."

    ReplyDelete